You may be surprised that Medicare does not cover everything. It is important to know what Medicare does and does not cover so you are not caught off guard by a medical bill. Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) covers inpatient care, skilled nursing care, hospice, home health care, and blood. Part B (medical insurance) covers 80% of outpatient services once the annual deductible has been met. These outpatient services include physician services, outpatient surgery, home health care, labs, and x-rays. You may be surprised that Medicare Part A and B do not cover prescription drugs. You can buy drug coverage through Medicare Part D, but it’s not provided by Part A or Part B.
Let’s look at what services Medicare Part A and B do not cover:
· Medicare Part A or B does not cover dental work such as routine dental exams, checkups, and more expensive services like root canals and dentures.
· Medicare Part A or B does not cover eye exams, glasses, and contact lenses.
· Hearing aids and routine hearing tests are not covered in Medicare Part A or B. Although, it does cover ear-related medical conditions.
· Podiatry, like routine medical care for feet such as callus removal, is not covered.
· Chiropractic Care, the majority of the time, is not covered by Medicare part A or B. This includes X-rays ordered by a chiropractor. Although Medicare Part B does cover manual manipulation of the spine by a qualified chiropractor.
· Overseas Care and traveling outside the U.S. is not covered by Medicare Part A or B.
· Cosmetic Surgery that is elective such as a facelift is not covered under Medicare Part A or B. Medicare will cover plastic surgery in the event of an accidental injury or necessary treatment.
Avery Hall Benefit Solutions offers vision, dental, travel insurance and so much more! If a service you need is not covered by Medicare Part A or B, call and speak with an Avery Hall Benefits Solutions team member today to discuss how we can find a solution for your needs at 410-742-5111 (Salisbury) or 410-822-7300 (Easton).